Most large companies believe they have an adequate process for developing account plans and see no need to change.
- Revenue growth in the 4 quarters following each workshop is 54% more than expected (actual vs trend for each account, averaged across all sectors, geographies, sizes).
- For “troubled” accounts (-ve trend) revenue grows 80% more than expected.
- The benefit is greater in the first 3-6 months: first quarter improvement is typically double the above figures.
- For lost or “unloved” accounts (competitor is stronger) all these effects are greater: annual growth is 250%-1000%+ above trend and first quarter growth is 3-4 times more than this.
- The measured average ROI of these workshops is over 600x. We know of no other sales enablement or training initiative that comes close to these measured returns.
- However..there is usually no budget for this kind of sales development consultancy and no perceived need.
- Once a sales manager decides to engage us for a specific account it takes an average of 4 weeks to raise the PO, or 6-12 months if there is no budget flexibility. This delay typically represents a $0.5m – $7m opportunity cost.
- Workshops are generally planned 6 weeks in advance to find a date to suit all attendees and to plan, agree and execute customer interviews.
We can conclude that:
- Companies can and should improve their account planning process.
- This is their biggest revenue opportunity, with no risk and proven, immediate results.
- The opportunity cost of doing nothing is equivalent to 50% of current revenues. Or more.
- ….but inertia and corporate DNA generally conspires against this happening.
To enable our clients to boost revenues on any account as and when required we work on a retainer basis with a limited number of clients. The retainer agreement guarantees our availability and familiarity and cuts lead time to a minimum.
Our work with Microsoft, HP, IBM, Cisco, Dell and others has helped them add over $2bn of incremental revenue, one account at a time. We can help you make and exceed your numbers too.